Tuttle-Richland Creek area
Ark Hwy 74 and WC 79
No Post Office
The post office at Tuttle was established in 1907 and closed after
about 5 years. A post office was established on Richland Creek in 1832
and was listed in Washington County until 1849. After that time, it
was listed as Titsworth, Madison County.
Waits reported a group of early settlers of the Evansville area in south-
western Washington County were found to be in Indian Territory after
that area was ceded to the Cherokees in 1828. Each head of a family
which had to move east of the territory line was given a warrant for 320
acres of government land.
One family which had to move was the John R Holmesleys and two of his
daughters and their husbands. Sometime probably late in 1828, they
resettled on Richland Creek in eastern Washington County. In the 1829
Sheriff's Census, eight of the 33 eligible male voters in Richland
Township had moved there from west of Evansville. The area had already
received settlers but these increased the number substantially. By some
reports a horse driven mill owned by Thomas Smith was in operation near
the present Tuttle location as early as 1828 and was shown on an 1833
surveyor's map. The extended Holmesley family became major landowners
in the area and were successful farmers. Some traded livestock and
another, John Austin, discovered corn converted to whisky provided a
nice income, producing as much as 200 gallons a year in 1840. Austin
served in County offices including Justice of the Peace.
Other properties noted on the 1833 surveyor map included the Edwards
water mill, Webber's tanyard, and houses of Philpots, Titsworths,
Johsons, and Sanders in addition to Thomas Smith's "improvement".
Thomas Smith's wife Rebecca died around 1841. In 1842 or '43, Smith
married Elizabeth Tuttle, young widow of Nathan Tuttle of Mount Comfort.
Nathan was a son of Solomon Tuttle. One of Thomas and Rebecca's
daughter's, Evaline, in about 1842 married James M Tuttle, also a son
of Solomon Tuttle. James and Evaline lived near her parents in the
Richland area and Margaret Hawk reported that the town of Tuttle was
named for him.
Washington County Postoffices and Postmasters 1829-1976 by Deane Carter,
published 1976 by Washington Co Historical Society
Settlement on Richland Creek by Wally Waits Flashback August 1978
Thomas Smith - Richland by Margaret I Hawk Flashback November 1989
To return to Washington County Map,click here!
Click here for a map to Tuttle