1.5 miles west of Ark.59 on WC415
Summers AR 72769
The post office named Sexton was established in June 1882 and operated
until June 1906 when mail was diverted to Summers. But settlement
of Salem Springs began by 1832.
Salem Springs, known also as Sexton, was one of the largest Indian
trading places along the State line. It is less than a mile from the line.
A spring flows from the hillside and
was renowned for the healing properties of it's water in the earliest
days. A hotel and health resort was built for the visitors. A general
store, mill and as many as 14 businesses operated there and at least two
In September 1833, Bishop Joshua Soule of the Methodist-Episcopal Church
held an annual conference at what the Methodist Conference Journal called
Mountain Spring Campground, but also referred to the place as Salem
Springs. A marker was placed there in 1999 by the Arkansas Methodist
Conference noting the 1833 meeting.
Burlene Hilton reported that the coming of railroads in the early 1900's
to Westville in Indian Territory and the short lived one through Summers,
just north of Salem Springs caused the prosperous little town to begin
to fade away.
Washington County Post Offices and Postmasters 1829-1976 by Deane
Carter, published by Washington County Historical Society
Old Salem Springs (Sexton) by Burlene Hilton Flashback February 1969
To return to Washington County Map,click here!