306 E Emma Street
Springdale AR 72764
When the St Louis - San Francisco Railway came to Springdale in 1881,
the town began to shift its center from the town square which was
located in the block where Shiloh Museum is now located. Businesses
began to develop along the railroad.
While the area timber business was a major beneficiary and contributor,
to the railroads, in Springdale, the fruit industry took great advantage
and was soon shipping hundreds of car loads of apples, strawberries,
peaches, tomatoes and later grapes and poultry. In 1912, a train loaded
with orphan children from the New York area came to Springdale and the
children were located in area homes.
In the 1940's trains passing through Springdale included 6 passenger
trains and 20-25 freight trains with as many as 350 freight cars. Today
a few freight trains travel through and a tour train run by the
Arkansas-Missouri Railroad operates between Springdale and Van Buren.
Springdale The Courage of Shiloh by Velda Brotherton
History of Washington County published by Shiloh Museum 1989
To return to Springdale Map,click here!
Click here for a map to site of Railroad Depot