U S Highway 62
Prairie Grove AR 72753
Prairie Grove is best known for the large Civil War battle fought
there on December 7,1862. Some 2,700 casualties were suffered in what
was the last major Civil War engagement in northwest Arkansas. A
beautiful State Park protects what is called one of America's most
intact Civil War battlefields.
Settlement by white people began around 1829 by a hunter named Thomas
Wagnon. Wagnon soon sold his land to Reverend Andrew "Uncle Buck"
Buchanan who built the first school and church there.
A post office named Sweet Home was opened there in 1840 and closed in
1846. In 1857 a second post office was opened named Ada after
postmaster Archibald Borden's daughter. This post office building was
riddled by bullets during the battle and was moved after the war.
Prairie Grove was officially incorporated in 1888 after a stepson of
Andrew Buchanan, James Preston Neal, took ownership of Buchanan's
property in 1871 and began organizing the town Buchanan had started.
As was common in the towns of Washington County, a mill for grinding
of grains grown in the area was established in 1877 operated by steam.
The town began to grow steadily and by 1889 had a population of around
500. Growth continued with the town boasting four general stores,
hotel, two newspapers, several physicians, a telephone company and in
1901 a train depot was started. The canning industry provided steady
employment during Depression years with two factories operating during
World War II. Along with the rest of the area, Prairie Grove has had
considerable growth since that war.
Arkansas State Parks Guide for 2008
Encyclopedia of Arkansas - Prairie Grove by Susan Parks-Spencer
To return to Washington County Map,click here!
Click here for a map to Prairie Grove