700 Government Avenue
Fayetteville AR 72701
The National Cemetery in Fayetteville is one of three such cemeteries
in Arkansas. The other two are in Ft. Smith and Little Rock.
The Fayetteville Cemetery, at the south end of Government Avenue,
was established in 1867. Most of the early burials were those of
Union soldiers who fell in the battles of Pea Ridge in Benton County
(March 7-8, 1862) and Prairie Grove in Washington County (December 7,1862).
These were, of course, re-interments at Fayetteville, since
the soldier dead of the Civil War were usually buried on the field of
battle. And since the United States did not acquire title to the
Cemetery land until 1867, it is probably safe to assume that many of
the Civil War dead reposed for five years or longer in graves at Pea
Ridge, Cross Hollows, Keytsville, Cassville, Prairie Grove, Cane Hill,
Rhea's mill, Tollett's Orchard, Walker's Farm and other places, all of
which are named in the Cemetery records as "Original place of burial".
It would be difficult at this late date to ascertain the names and
dates of the first burials are Fayetteville's National Cemetery. The
earliest were probably Union soldiers who died in Fayetteville and
were buried just south of town - on some land belonging to Stephen K
Stone, prominent local merchant. Stone had obtained the land in 1860
from Jane T Butler. S K Stone was a public spirited man and probably
gave permission for burials on his land in 1862. It does not seem
probable that the Federal Government, in 1867, would have selected
this place for a National Cemetery unless some soldier burials had
already been made on the site. Also, the record shows that Fayetteville
was the "original" place of burial for 103 "known" Union soldiers. The
dead of Pea Ridge and Prairie Grove were buried on those fields and
were not removed to Fayetteville until some years later.
The National Cemetery at Fayetteville Arkansas, WCHS Bulletin 25,
W Lemke 1956
To return to Fayetteville Detail Map,click here!
Click here for a map to National Cemetery.