150 North Skyline Drive
Fayetteville AR 72701
In early years, Mt.Sequoyah was called East Mountain. It was a strategic
spot during the Civil War for shelling the town below, by Confederate
forces in the 1863 Battle of Fayetteville.
In the 1920's, the then Methodist Episcopal Church, South, considered
sites for a regional summer assembly location. They chose Mt Sequoyah
in Fayetteville and the City gave the Church 400 acres of land, including
Mt Sequoyah and $35,000 in cash. The assembly ground is actively used
by the Church for events year-round, as well as many non-church
activities and meetings. The website for the Center is
In 2003, a 67 acre tract on the southeast side of Mt Sequoyah was
purchased from the Methodist Church by the City of Fayetteville
and the Fayetteville Natural Heritage Association for a park and nature
area, called Mt Sequoyah Woods. The website for the Fayetteville Natural
Heritage Association is http://www.fayettevillenatural.org/about-us.php
for more information about the organization and Mt Sequoyah Woods.
One Hundred Years of Fayetteville 1828-1928 by William S Campbell
Battle of Fayetteville by Russell Mahan
Fayetteville Natural Heritage Association website
To return to Fayetteville Map,click here!
Click here for a map to Mt Sequoyah