State Highway 45 and 295
No Post Office
The post office at Mayfield was established in 1900 and closed in
An essay on Mayfield was written by a Bobby Fultz for a Junior High
WCHS history essay contest. This information was provided by Jerry Hogan,
a relative of Bobby Fultz. The following is taken from that article.
Mayfield has a varied and colorful history. One gravestone in the old
graveyard above the school house is dated 1820. In the early days
Methodist camp meetings were held near Brush Creek, which winds its
way past Mayfield to spill into White River.
An old house in Mayfield was built in 1879 and the lumber is believed
to have been sawed at the old Peter Van Winkle sawmill.
The author's great grandfather, Huston Scott, built a mill on Brush
Creek in 1886. A store, mill and blacksmith shop were built in 1897 by
a Bud Abney. The blacksmith shop was operated by Tom Osburn.
The town was named after the Mayfield family of the area. A school was
built in 1899. The major operation was a canning factory built in 1925
by Walter and Bill Keeney. The main crop canned was tomatoes grown in
the area. The canning operation continued for over 15 years.
Washington County Postoffices and Postmasters 1829-1976 by
Deane Carter, published 1976 by Washington Co Historical Society
The History of Mayfield by Bobby Fultz Flashback February 1953
To return to Washington County Map,click here!
Click here for a map to Mayfield