Lynch's Prairie Post Office site
1100 South Old Missouri Road

Springdale AR 72764


The first post office in the Springdale area was established in 1859 along Old Missouri Road on what is now Springdale Airport property where Caudle Street formerly intersected Old Missouri Road just west of the NTI Campus. Butterfield Stage stopped there for mail delivery when needed. Initially, the stage ran through the village of Shiloh for the Gladden and Lovelady hotels. However, to cut travel time between Fitzgerald's and the next stop in Fayetteville, Butterfield cut a new route for Old Missouri Road south from Fitzgerald's bypassing Shiloh but passing by Lynch's Prairie post office. The post office was discontinued in 1866 after the Civil War. The Springdale post office was opened in 1872.

Bibliography:
History of Washington County published by Shiloh Museum in 1989
Springdale The Courage of Shiloh by Velda Brotherton 2002
Washington County Postmasters and Post Office 1829-1976 by Deane Carter, Published by Washington County Historical Society



To return to Springdale Map,click here!

Click here for a map to site of Lynch's Prairie Post Office