Jones Truck Line
610 E Emma Street
Springdale AR 72764
In 1917, Harvey Jones went into the hauling business with a wagon and
team of two mules, one red and one black. He hauled freight between
Rogers, Springdale and Fayetteville. In 1919, he sold the wagon and
mules and bought his first truck, used. The company name was first Jones
Transportation Company and in 1933, became Jones Truck Lines(JTL). The
company was incorporated in 1934. By 1937, JTL operated 44 trucks out
of the depot on east Emma Avenue. In the '60's Jones had 15 terminals
employing about 1,000 people from Texas to Mississippi to Missouri to
Kansas, and, of course, still in Springdale. They operated 200 trucks
and 590 trailers which traveled some 50,000 miles a day between
Jones built his own maintenance operation in Springdale and he insisted
his equipment was always ready to deliver freight with maximum possible
quality. In the '70's, Jones grew to have 28 terminals in 12 states.
In 1980 the Sun Company (formerly Sun Oil) purchased Jones Truck Lines
from Harvey Jones. JTL continued to grow under Sun ownership and in 1989
operated 123 terminals in 22 states. However deregulation in the
industry caused JTL to file for bankruptcy and close in 1991.
Harvey Jones was always civic minded and active in community affairs.
In 1957 he and his wife Bernice, founded the Jones Foundation to
provide scholarships to Springdale students. They made significant
donations to the University of Arkansas and donated valuable land to
the school district. Following Harvey's death, Bernice built the
Bernice and Harvey Jones Center for Families in Springdale on the site
of JTL operations. The Center was made available to anyone who wanted
to use its sports and meeting facilities. The 220,000 square foot
facility was funded entirely by Bernice Jones. Today the Center continues
to provide sports facilities for people of the area, but also provides
office space for many non-profits who provide needed services to many.
The Jones Foundation has contributed to many organizations in the area,
providing expanded facilities at Springdale hospital, the NARTI non-profit
cancer treatment center and the Springdale school district.
Springdale The Courage of Shiloh by Velda Brotherton
History of Washington County published by Shiloh Museum 1989
To return to Springdale Map,click here!
Click here for a map to site of Jones Truck Line