1874 Stokenbury Road
Elkins AR 72727
The town of Elkins was established when the St Paul Branch railroad
was routed west of the White River rather than through Maguiretown to
the east of the river. A post office named Hood was first established
in 1885 and four years later the name changed to Elkins. A Boone's Grove
post office also existed in the area from 1857 to 1868.
The 1892-93 Polk Business Directory still lists Hood rather than Elkins.
In 1892, Hood had two general stores, a grocer, wagonmaker and physician.
In 1900, Elkins had a hotel, four general stores, a cooper, blacksmith,
physician and a carpenter. B.F.Williams was physician in both cases.
Population was listed as 50 in both cases.
Washington County Postoffices and Postmasters 1829-1976 by
Deane Carter, published 1976 by Washington Co Historical Society
R.L.Polk's Arkansas Gazetteer and Business Directory 1892-1893:Washington
County Towns Flashback Fall 2007
A Business Directory of 1900 Flashback February 1952
To return to Washington County Map,click here!
Click here for a map to Elkins