2327 Old Wire Road
Springdale AR 72764
John Fitzgerald Sr. (1783-1875) and his wife Mary (1794-ca.1865) moved
their family from Alabama to Washington County, Arkansas sometime
between 1828 and 1833, settling on a farm northeast of present-day
Springdale. The Fitzgerald property was located
alongside what was then known as the Military Road, which ran from
Springfield, Missouri to Fort Smith, Arkansas. The Fitzgeralds
took advantage of their location by establishing an inn and tavern on
their farm; by the late 1830s it was a well-known stop for travelers.
When the Butterfield stage line ran through Northwest Arkansas as part
of the route from Tipton, Missouri to San Francisco (1858-1861),
Fitzgerald's inn and tavern became a station on the stage route. The
stone barn that was used for the stage line is still standing and it
is one of the very few original buildings in existence along the stage
Application Draft for submission of Fitzgerald's Station for National
Historic Trail designation by Susan Young and John McLarty October 2007
Photos from http://www.uark.edu/campus-resources/archinfo/fitz.html
Click here for a map to Fitzgerald's Station.
To return to Historic Sites Map,click here!