2327 Old Wire Road
Springdale AR 72764
John Fitzgerald Sr. (1783-1875) and his wife Mary (1794-ca.1865) moved
their family from Alabama to Washington County, Arkansas sometime
between 1828 and 1833, settling on a farm northeast of present-day
Springdale. The Fitzgerald property was located
alongside what was then known as the Military Road, which ran from
Springfield, Missouri to Fort Smith, Arkansas. The Fitzgeralds
took advantage of their location by establishing an inn and tavern on
their farm; by the late 1830s it was a well-known stop for travelers.
Whether any Cherokee removal/Trail of Tears contingents actually
stopped overnight at Fitzgeralds is unknown. However in journals
written by people accompanying two contingents, Fitzgerald's is mentioned.
On October 14, 1837, a detachment of 365 Cherokees led by B. B. Cannon
left Tennessee bound for Indian Territory. This group represented the
minority of the Cherokees who supported the Treaty of New Echota, and
was one of three detachments organized and supervised by the U. S.
Government. Unlike the later detachments whose removal was involuntary,
the Cannon party requested and received a military escort. Cannon
pioneered the overland Northern Route, which passed through northwest
Arkansas. Cannon's journal of the trip mentions the Fitzgerald farm:
Decr. 25th, 1837.
Marched at 8 o'c. A. M., took the right hand road to Cane hill,
at Fitzgeralds, halted a half mile in advance of Mr. Cunninghams at
a branch, 3 o'c. P. M., Issued corn & fodder and salt Pork.
15 ½ miles to day.
On September 20, 1838, a detachment of 1,029 Cherokees led by Richard
Taylor left Tennessee for Indian Territory. This detachment was one
of 13 parties organized and removed under the supervision of the
Cherokee Nation. Of the 13 detachments, 11 traveled on the Northern
Route, which passed through northwest Arkansas.
The journal of William Isaac Irvins Morrow, a physician traveling with
the detachment, mentions the Fitzgerald farm:
March 20, 1839.
Wednesday 20th Cloudy & cool - traveled 15 miles to the X Hollows
(Cross Hollows in Benton County),
eat dinner at Homeslys & came on 5 miles to Fitzgeralds in company
with Cox Fields Hemger [Hinegar?] & George D. Morrow. A mean house.
Other Trail of Tears detachments might have passed Fitzgerald's but
documentation is lacking so far.
Application Draft for submission of Fitzgerald's Station for National
Historic Trail designation by Susan Young and John McLarty October 2007
Heritage Trail Partners Trail of Tears Research group
Click here for a map to Fitzgerald's Station.
To return to Historic Sites Map,click here!